Your Title Goes Here
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
2020 SEASON COVID-19 UPDATES
We are currently in the process of preparing our facility and staff to adhere to the new social distancing guidelines put forth by the State of Ohio. Part of our plan is to install self assisted kayak launches, and plan to open shortly after, aiming for the first week of June. There will be additional changes moving forward that include the following:
1, No dogs/pets – animals, especially dogs, tend to increase socialization between people and may make social distancing more of a challenge.
2. Our rental inventory will be reduced by nearly 50% in an effort to reduce the amount of foot traffic at any given time.
3. Reservations will be required and limited to a maximum of 10 people per group.
4. All kayaks will launch and return from an EZ-Dock kayak launch to minimize contact between guests and staff, and to allow for safe self assisted water entry.
5. Waivers will go digital. Guests will have the ability to sign a waiver from their digital devices, or from our website. We will have waivers available for download from our website.
6. We will no longer be able to store personal belongings with the exception of car keys.
7. We are no longer able to launch any personally owned kayaks, or other vessels, from our docks and marina. The marina is deemed private property outside of the businesses that operate on the grounds.
8. Cleaning Procedures: Our equipment will undergo a thorough cleaning process that will require a minimum of 20 minutes in addition to dry time between use.
9. Canoes and tandem kayaks, as per the new guidelines, can only be rented to residents of the same household.
Please be patient with us while we work to adjust to these new guidlines in an effort to keep our staff and our guests safe and healthy. Feel free to reach out to us with any questions or concerns.
Thank you for your continued support!
West River Crew
Welcome to the West River Paddling Co. located in the beautiful harbor town of Vermilion, Ohio! Our crew is waiting to provide the water lovers of the world with the opportunity to engage in unforgettable adventures along the Lake Erie Shoreline and Vermilion River Watershed. Whether you are looking to cruise at your own pace, hone in on some, or learn something new with our informative team… we have got you covered!
We welcome those both skilled and new to the world of paddle sports! Our guests can rest assured knowing that each paddler will receive prior instruction for their kayak, canoe or paddle board before setting off on your new adventure.
Groups renting 6 vessels or more will receive 10% OFF
Groups renting 8 vessels or more will receive 20% OFF
What should I bring?
Bottled water and snacks
Zip-Lock bags for belongings
Change of clothes
Water shoes or change of shoes
Indians, Browns or Cavs ball cap
Where do I park?
Parking for West River is located at the top of the hill at 655 W. River Rd. Vermilion, Ohio. If you plan to leave belongings in your car we advise they be locked in your trunk. Additional parking can be found in front of Rotary Park (Water Tower Park) adjacent to our parking lot. Parking at the bottom of the hill is prohibited as it is reserved for our boat captains.
Can I bring my pet with me.
At this time, we only allow K9 companions at a max weight of 35 lbs in Canoes Only. We do not allow animals that must be held due to their fur coming into contact with our PFD’s or padded seat rests. We do not allow animals that are kept in pet carriers due to the likelihood of a capsized boat. If your pet is a Service Animal and does not fit within our accepted criteria, please provided paper work for your service animal.
Can I bring my own kayak/Canoe/Paddle Board?
Unfortunately, we do not allow the launch of personal water crafts at our location. However, we are just a 30 second drive from the public boat launch. There you will find a full operational ADA launch. The cost is just $3 and can be found at 777 W. River Rd, Vermilion Ohio, 44089. No joke… only 30 seconds away!!
There is NO SMOKING
We do not allow smoking while paddling in our equipment or wearing our PFD’s.
Do you provide paddles and PFD's?
What can I learn while paddling on the Vermilion River
Is this a shuttled trip, or do you pick us up?
All rented equipment will return back to the launch point. You can paddle upriver about 3 to 3.5 miles for a more scenic trip, or to Lake Erie (on advisable days) about a 1/4 mile. Make a day and paddle both and at the end of your trip come back to the launch point for an assisted exit from your watercraft.
Can I bring alcoholic beverages?
In order to ensure a safe experience we prohibit alcoholic beverages on our trips.
Can I pack a cooler, or bring snacks and beverages?
Absolutely! If you plan to bring snacks, drinks, or pack a cooler, we ask that you bring all your disposables and recyclables back with you. We will be happy to collect it upon your return.